Not only are these two dishes delightful, they're also a frugal meal because you can serve meatless bean burritos with the hotsie-totsie sauce with a sprinkle of cheese, and for much less money than it costs to eat out at a Mexican restaurant. Satisfying, healthy, and SO GOOD! :D This is one dinner that definitely needs to dive into your menu. :)
And just look how simple it is...
- 5 1/2 cups (or 2 pounds) dry pinto or black beans
- about 3-3 1/2 quarts of water, as needed
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons salt, to taste
- Rinse the beans. Cook the beans with the water in the crockpot for 8 hours on high.
- Drain the beans, reserving the liquid.
- Mash the beans and add the bean liquid as needed to make a smooth mixture.
- Add the spices and stir them in well.
Serve them with tortilla shells, freshly grated cheddar cheese and Hotsie~Totsie Sauce. Oh, go ahead and have some sour cream if you really have to! ;)
- 1 ( 15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Place in sauce pan and stir well, simmer at a very low temperature for 15- 20 minutes.
Remove and cool. Store in an air-tight container like a mason jar!
May be kept in refrigerator for several days.
You are getting your spices at a really good price, aren't you? If you haven't heard, please check out our post on Best Prices for Herbs and Spices.
Enjoy this deliciouso dinner, perfect for your summer evenings when you want a little zesty flavor without breaking the bank. :D