Chocolate! There aren't many desserts I love more than something chocolate, especially chocolate cake. I mean, seriously, almost everyone LOVES chocolate.
When I cut out white sugar and white flour from my diet, the chocolate cake went, too! But this homemade, from scratch recipe is just the ticket to satisfy that chocolate craving! It uses honey and whole wheat flour and you would never know it! ( I will tell you that it is a little less sweet than box cake but just as moist and tasty!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Grease and flour two 9 inch round baking pans or one 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the large bowl of your mixer, cream butter (oil), honey and vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually add flour mixture alternately with water. When all ingredients are added, beat for 2 minutes.
- Spread into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, depending on pan size, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 15 minutes, remove from pans if using the round pans.
Serve with fresh fruit like strawberries or blueberries or if sugar is not a problem for you, try this easy and delicious homemade frosting.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until well blended and smooth.
- This amount covers a 9x13 pan. Double the recipe for a two layer cake.
- Note: 8 cups of confectioner's sugar = one 32 ounce bag.
Now you can have your cake and eat it, too!!