It's that time of year...warm air, sunshine and picnics outside! These tasty chicken nuggets make a great summery meal.
And they are made from simple, healthy ingredients.You (and your kids too!) will LOVE them. :D
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- dash garlic powder
- dash onion powder
- extra virgin olive oil for frying, enough to fry the chicken.
- 2 breasts of boneless, skinless chicken (or enough for your crowd) ;)
- Cut the chicken into small pieces, no bigger than about 1 inch or so.
- In a small bowl, (I use a cereal bowl), beat the egg and add the 1 cup milk. Beat together.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the rest of the ingredients, flour and spices.
- Dip the chicken in the egg/milk mixture, then toss it in the flour/spice mixture to coat it.
- Do it again. I double dip and coat for a nice thick breading but it is not necessary. Do it as you like.
- Set aside on a plate until you have coated all of the chicken pieces.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in deep fryer (or if using a skillet or pot, heat that now.)
- Using a slotted metal spoon, slowly lower the breaded chicken nuggets into the hot oil.
- Fry for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Test to make sure they are cooked through and cook longer if the chicken is not completely cooked.
Serve with your favorite fresh veggies and side dishes!
While the oil is hot and ready to go, make some Homemade Onion Rings, too! The recipe might sound familiar because it is the same breading and it tastes Oh, So Good for both! Easy-Peasy!! :)