Sunday, May 5, 2013

Simple Sunday Thoughts #5 - Rainy Days


Yesterday, it poured. It rained buckets all day long... and it seemed like the sunshine was never coming back, ever.
Why do we liken rain to something depressing and dreary? Well... sunshine is more pleasant. You can run around and play outside, have picnics, without fear of getting wet and chilled.
But if it never rained, what would happen? The earth would dry up, plants would shrivel, and next thing you know we'd be living in a dusty wasteland.

We need rain... and in the same way, we need those 'rainy days' of yore. You know... the ones you save up for. "I'm saving it for a rainy day" one might say. Rainy days happen.

Because that's when we grow. Rainy days bring new beginnings and fresh life. We wouldn't be grateful for the sunshine unless we knew what it was like to have stormy skies overhead.

But I have a blessed Comforter to quiet my soul on rainy days. He is with me, so that I have peace in my heart even when the storms rage, lightning crackles, and the thunder rolls.


Psalm 46:1-3…
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake.


When the outlook is bleak, all I have to do is look up. He will never, ever leave me, because He loves me. I am His beloved. The Lord is my strength - I don't have to be strong on my own.

You've probably heard or read this verse before.
Be still, and know that I am God. -Psalm 46:10. 

But have you ever stopped to think about it? How insanely busy have our lives become? Sometimes the only thing that makes us look up from our ever-present electronic screens is a frightening storm.

I would encourage you today to stop and rest... be still. Fill up your dry and thirsty spirit by spending some time with the One who loves you most.


Psa 147:7, 8  
Sing unto the LORD with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp unto our God: Who covereth the heaven with clouds, who prepareth rain for the earth, who maketh grass to grow upon the mountains


May you be blessed on this day of rest, and when the next rainy day comes along, place your trust in God, because he's right there waiting for you. :)

  You will find us linked up at some of these fine sites.

4 comments:

  1. So, so beautiful. Thank you that bit of respite this afternoon. {and thanks for linking up at Hear It Use It}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Michelle! It blesses us to hear when somebody is blessed by our posts. :)

      Delete
  2. "Rainy days bring new beginnings and fresh life. We wouldn't be grateful for the sunshine unless we knew what it was like to have stormy skies overhead." I love this way of looking at rain. Your words have blessed me today. Psalm 46:10 keeps showing up this week for me...God has a way of using others to speak to us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! So glad to hear the post was a blessing to you! :)

      Delete

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to comment on our blog! We are delighted to have you here and hope you enjoyed and were inspired by our posts. Have a lovely day!